- Whole Grains: Make at least half of your grains whole grains by eating more brown rice, quinoa, whole grain breads and cereals, and whole wheat pasta.
- Vegetables: Try to make at least half of your plate fruits and vegetables at meals. Include more beans and legumes as well. Focus on eating vegetables of varying color!
- Fruits: Try to sneak more fruits in between meals to help prevent letting yourself feel starved. Again, eat fruits of varying color!
- Lean Proteins: When choosing a protein for your meal, try to choose a lean protein source such as chicken breast, turkey breast, lean cuts of beef and pork, fish and seafood, as well as tofu.
- Fat Free Dairy Products: Choose low-fat or fat free milk, yogurt, and cheese.
- Nuts and Seeds: This is another great snack food to help satisfy your hunger between meals.
- Water: As always, make sure to drink plenty of water throughout each and every day.
- Sodium: Try to limit salt to 2,300 mg per day by consuming less processed foods that may be high in sodium, add fewer high sodium ingredients, and taste food before salting it.
- Saturated Fat: Try to avoid processed foods with high levels of saturated or trans fats, as well as well-marbled meat, cured meats, poultry skin, butter, and whole fat dairy products. Replace these fats with avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.
- Refined Grains: These grains have had the bran and germ (which hold most of the nutritious value!) taken out. Try eating more whole grains to replace white bread, white rice, pasta, and flour tortillas.
- Added Sugar: Avoid foods and beverages that contain added sugars. These foods include soda, juice, candy, cookies, dairy desserts, cakes, pies, and more.