Tips for healthy eating during the holidays:
- Take your time! Be mindful of what you are eating, especially between meals when you are more likely to graze your way through the day.
- Use a smaller plate at meals. This will help you control your portion sizes and help prevent you from over eating. Also, try to fill most of your plate with vegetables.
- Do not skip meals throughout the day. Rather than “saving your appetite” for the big feast, try to fill your day with nutrient rich meals. High fiber foods such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables can be a great way to stay full.
- Hydrate with water. There may be a large variety of beverages available during the holidays. Remember that water is the only beverage that your body needs to function regularly.
- Be healthy when satisfying your sweet tooth. Choose a piece of fruit when you feel like eating something sweet.
- Post feast physical activity. After a busy day of preparing for the big meal, remember that it is always advised to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity during the day. A post meal walk with friends and family can be a great way to fit your activity in.