What’s your reason for not sticking with your New Year’s resolution to become more active this year? For a majority their reason is they are “too busy” and demanding work schedules are the number one culprit. With technology advancements, many jobs have moved from being physically demanding to sedentary. Just because most of us work in an office or a cubical doesn’t mean we can’t continue to keep our bodies fit. Try some of these ideas for staying active while at work and finally get yourself moving toward a true state of health!
Take the stairs – Skip the elevator and take the stairs whenever possible. If it’s too cold to take your daily walk, agree to climb the stairs instead!
Stand at your desk – Try this while on one of those long conference calls you dread each week. You can even add in some squats or calf raises! You may want to mute the phone if you find yourself getting out of breath.
Park further away – Park your car at the top of the parking garage or at the back of the parking lot and enjoy your walk into the office each morning.
Move around the office more – Get up out of your seat and personally deliver messages rather than calling or emailing your coworkers down the hall.
Incorporate activity into your day- Try to incorporate some body weight exercises each day. Set an alarm to go off each hour and take 60 seconds to complete one set of each of the following exercises:
1. Squats or wall sits – Challenge yourself to see how many squats you can do in one minute or if you can hold your wall sit for an entire minute.
2. Calf raises – You can do these standing or seated. To add resistance while sitting, place a couple books or other heavy object on your knees.
3. Push-ups (on the floor, wall, or desk) – How many push-ups can you do without stopping? Challenge your coworkers!
4. Plank (on the floor, wall, or desk) – Can you hold a plank for an entire minute? As time goes by try improving on your past time!
5. Tricep dips (on your desk or chair) – If you are doing these on your chair make sure it’s secure or backed up to a wall so it does not move.
6. Sit-ups – Many variations of sit-ups can be done in the office. Bring in a towel or yoga mat to lay on.
Written by: Deanne Emig, Health Coach